Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 28, 2017, 07:02:32 PM
Home Help Search chat Login Register 
News: Read this please.The Great Kangaroo Escape Looking for reviews of the 4th ed on Amazon!   Twitter:  @skochan

+ Official Forum for Programming in Objective-C (the iPhone Programming Language) - Stephen Kochan
|-+ Programming in Objective-C, 4th edition
| |-+ General Discussion
| | |-+ I got this book and I need some advice
Pages: [1] Go Down
Print
Author Topic: I got this book and I need some advice (Read 101000 times)
Alexandre

on: April 27, 2012, 06:50:51 PM

I just finished reading the Objective-C Programming, The Big Nerd Ranch Guide. Great book! Now I bought "Programming in Objective-C, Fourth Edition". Should I read it from start to finish? May you tell me about your experience reading the book?
sglddy

Email
Reply #1 on: April 28, 2012, 11:48:39 AM

In my (limited) experience I can offer the following.  Over the years I have read and studied several books on Fortran and C from top to bottom.  In every case much was redundant and sometimes even boring, BUT also in every case there were several little bits of insight.  Whether it was something ignored by another book, or something described in another way that lit up the light bulb, each book ended up being worth every penny.  So my advice is start at the beginning, go through it thoroughly, and I guarantee you will learn something worthwhile.  Besides, programming is so much fun there's no downside. You've already spent the money, get everything you can out of it.
sglddy

Email
Reply #2 on: April 28, 2012, 12:00:51 PM

BTW, without sounding patronizing, this is by far the best programming book I've ever encountered.  But read it carefully.  It's language is precise and compact.  And it's accurate.  I've led myself astray a couple times because I assumed I understood.  I later found out that I didn't read it carefully enough.  Writing a programming is an impossible mix of science, art, and composition.  Stephen Kochan has mastered them all.
mgpwr

Reply #3 on: May 07, 2012, 11:43:06 AM

i'm just about to start reading the book. Would anyone agree that as a beginner this is the best book to start from? or should I use online tutorials etc first?

An awesome collection of: iPhone Development Tutorials

kefka

Email
Reply #4 on: July 25, 2012, 04:01:13 PM

I would say this book is ideal for beginners. Go for it, even if you have 0 knowledge of programming Smiley
mlconnell

Email
Reply #5 on: August 02, 2012, 12:25:03 PM

I agree with kefka. This book makes no assumption of your programming abilities. I'm finding it perfect foe me and I'm a beginner.
Pages: [1] Go Up
Print
Jump to:

Login with username, password and session length