Amazon.com Widgets How and when are errors and updates in the book handled?
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 27, 2014, 02:43:39 PM
Home Help Search chat Login Register 
News: Read this please.The Great Kangaroo Escape Looking for reviews of the 4th ed on Amazon!   Twitter:  @skochan

+ Official Forum for Programming in Objective-C (the iPhone Programming Language) - Stephen Kochan
|-+ Programming in Objective-C, 4th edition
| |-+ General Discussion
| | |-+ How and when are errors and updates in the book handled?
Pages: [1] Go Down
Print
Author Topic: How and when are errors and updates in the book handled? (Read 1719 times)
glimpse

on: February 22, 2012, 11:58:57 AM

What is the author's policy with respect to addressing errata found in the current edition? Specifically, will errata be addressed, and is there any sort of approximate timetable for doing so?

--
glimpse
skochan
Administrator

Reply #1 on: February 22, 2012, 12:23:59 PM

There is a category here for Errata.   As newer printings of the text are made, any outstanding errata will be addressed and the corrected PDF pages will be posted to the Errata category.

Cheers,

Steve
glimpse

Reply #2 on: February 22, 2012, 12:50:47 PM

Thanks for the prompt reply. I'm confused, though... the Errata category seems to contain mostly discussions of things that are wrong or don't work. This is, in at least some cases, the same type of material that's posted in the individual chapters. Should we be posting errors we find in the book (for example my post re the failure of the book's clang command in Chapter 2) into Errata, or in the individual chapter?

I realize this is a moving train, but for me, if Errata are not going to be addressed in a timely fashion, I want to move on, and find another way to learn this stuff.

Respectfully,
glimpse

--
glimpse
skochan
Administrator

Reply #3 on: February 22, 2012, 02:08:28 PM

Yes, post to Errata.   They get checked when I (or others) have time to do so.

Cheers,

Steve
dharr19

Email

Reply #4 on: February 22, 2012, 02:29:00 PM

Will Kindle updates be made -- that is, when errors of the 4th edition are varified a correction will be made to the 4th edition and viewable to the current owners of the 4th edition Kindle?

Cheers
David
skochan
Administrator

Reply #5 on: February 22, 2012, 02:46:38 PM

Yes, Amazon now is able to provides updates for new printings of an edition.   Kindle-copy owners get sent emails (I believe) whenever a new printing is released.

Cheers,

Steve
glimpse

Reply #6 on: February 22, 2012, 09:46:26 PM

Yes, post to Errata.   They get checked when I (or others) have time to do so.

Uh - wait a minute - you mean that the readers fix all the errors? What's the value in buying the book if the "hello world" example doesn't work? I mean, did you actually check this code before it went in the book? Did you have anyone else check it? I don't know about the others her, but I kinda' assumed that I'd get a few working examples before I had to start fixing anything.

--
glimpse
skochan
Administrator

Reply #7 on: March 06, 2012, 02:19:02 PM

All of the examples in the book have been tested.   However, like any other technical book, there are several places where errors can be introduced:  by me (the author), when then book is edited, when the book is "typeset," when corrections are made, and when the final printing occurs.  We spend a lot of time reviewing and re-reviewing, but errors crop in along the way and some make it to the final printing.

The errata section is for those readers who are kind enough to point out errors that they stumbled across that we missed.  And for that we are grateful.  I don't expect the reader to do my proofing or fix my examples

Cheers,

Steve
jonr

Reply #8 on: April 05, 2012, 12:47:34 PM

Is the main reason behind new printings to incorporate known errata?  I'm pretty sure this is the case and that a new printing wouldn't contain new content such as a new edition would.

I just purchased the Fourth Edition a few days ago and see that it is the First Printing.  When is/was the Second Printing available?  When I ordered the book on Amazon I wasn't aware of different printings for this Fourth Edition (not that it would matter anyway; you can't really specify that when you order from Amazon)
Pages: [1] Go Up
Print
Jump to:

Login with username, password and session length