Amazon.com Widgets Ex 9.4 - convert add: to take and return 'id' types.
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 24, 2014, 08:22:26 AM
Home Help Search chat Login Register 
News: Read this please.The Great Kangaroo Escape Looking for reviews of the 4th ed on Amazon!   Twitter:  @skochan

+ Official Forum for Programming in Objective-C (the iPhone Programming Language) - Stephen Kochan
|-+ Programming in Objective-C, 4th edition
| |-+ Exercises
| | |-+ Chapter 9
| | | |-+ Ex 9.4 - convert add: to take and return 'id' types.
Pages: [1] Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Ex 9.4 - convert add: to take and return 'id' types. (Read 2777 times)
simoncurry24

Email

on: February 08, 2012, 10:25:50 AM

Hi,

I could not get the code to work with id objects. I would get the error message "Property 'numerator' not found on object of type "__strong id"

I managed to get it to work by reverting to message sending format.

Can you confirm that property dot notation is not available with 'id' types?

Thanks!
skochan
Administrator

Reply #1 on: February 08, 2012, 10:37:05 AM

Yes, that's correct.  You can't use the dot operator with id objects.   Not sure if I mentioned that in the text somewhere or not.

Cheers,

Steve
Hesadanza

Reply #2 on: February 09, 2012, 08:19:44 PM

I ran into the same issue, and was confused.  I didn't know I couldn't use dot notation with id objects, so I didn't know what was going on.  Did I miss that in the text?
skochan
Administrator

Reply #3 on: February 10, 2012, 11:16:42 AM

I meant to mention it in the text with the 4th edition, but it looks like it slipped through the crack!  Sad

Steve
Hesadanza

Reply #4 on: February 10, 2012, 11:21:27 AM

I read elsewhere that some programmers consider dot notation bad form, even with properties, because it obscures the "message sending/receiving" format of object oriented programming.  Is that true?  Would it be better to keep with one form or the other, or do many programmers mix them?
skochan
Administrator

Reply #5 on: February 10, 2012, 11:27:37 AM

It's become a topic of debate.  It's a subjective decision.  I like using the dot operator for properties.   Writing an expression like myRect.origin.x is a lot easier to write and read than [[myRect origin] x], in my opinion.  Further, you use the same name to refer to the property whether you're setting or retrieving its value (e.g., myOrigin.x = 5 instead of [myOrigin setX: 5]).

Cheers,

Steve
Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 11:30:02 AM by skochan Logged
BombermanX

Email

Reply #6 on: February 17, 2012, 04:57:46 PM

Is it really necessary to set arguments and return types from object* to id for polymorphism? In your example of complex and fraction add methods, both accept and return objects so don't actually cause errors when using id objects on them - as long as you assign the correct object - and the dot.notation still works in those methods, too.

jonathan

Email

Reply #7 on: August 14, 2012, 08:49:18 AM

it is  mention in the 4th edition as a note... but i forgot i m going to try that without the dot....Smiley tknx
Pages: [1] Go Up
Print
Jump to:

Login with username, password and session length