Amazon.com Widgets Author's Answers to Exercises?
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 03, 2014, 12:01:11 AM
Home Help Search chat Login Register 
News: Read this please.The Great Kangaroo Escape Looking for reviews of the 4th ed on Amazon!   Twitter:  @skochan

+ Official Forum for Programming in Objective-C (the iPhone Programming Language) - Stephen Kochan
|-+ Programming in Objective-C, 4th edition
| |-+ General Discussion
| | |-+ Author's Answers to Exercises?
Pages: [1] Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Author's Answers to Exercises? (Read 1290 times)
ctc

on: December 15, 2011, 04:37:16 PM

Can anyone please tell me where to find the author's answers to the exercises?
h00ligan

Email

Reply #1 on: January 31, 2012, 02:33:04 PM

I agree, I can't seem to find them... maybe I'm missing something??

I noticed Mr. Kochan responded on amazon to a one star review stating the answers were on a forum.. but I still don't see them here.

I really feel they should be in the book, not online... not my first complaint with the book.. hopefully one of my last.
skochan
Administrator

Reply #2 on: January 31, 2012, 04:18:02 PM

No, there are no official answers posted by me here--I mentioned there were answers here, but not mine.  This is an issue that I've had for books I've written for some 25 years now.  For some of my past books, I've posted answers to odd-numbered exercises so instructors could assign the even ones as homework (that was based on the result of a poll I did a long time ago).   For past editions, I've had a set of answers that I stickied and "certified" that were contributed by forum members and that I reviewed.

I'm happy to comment and critique any posted solutions (or you can even email me directly), and I've also found it valuable for the forum readers to post their solutions so others can see different ways of tackling a problem.   Finally, I also don't post my solutions because I would like to encourage the readers to tackle the problems without just looking at the answers.  That's the same reason I don't post the source code: a big part of the learning process comes from typing in the examples and learning how to resolve the compiler errors.

I realize that not everyone agrees with this approach, but it's one that seems to have worked well fin the past, perhaps not for every reader.

Cheers,

Steve Kochan

Cheers,

Steve Kochan
h00ligan

Email

Reply #3 on: January 31, 2012, 08:22:14 PM

I appreciate your point of view and understand that posting entire code answers is not the fit way to go for everything.  However early on in the book when asking questions with absolute answers, I feel it would be beneficial.

If you'd never known the name of a color and Gave you a list, it is more helpful after you take my quiz to see whether you were correct or not.

I have to say, I hadn't thought I was buying a book teachers would be using...I thought it was a arch yourself book..perhaps my misunderstanding and part of the issues I'm having.
Waiting
Global Moderator

Reply #4 on: January 31, 2012, 08:48:04 PM

Most people who type the programmes in from the book get errors.

Would you not rather learn where you missed out a ; with ten lines of code rather than ten thousand.

Most people won't remake the mistakes they made in the first couple of chapters copying the code out in the future and the book author has said he will personally check your answers for you.

The other reason not to post source code like some do is that you end up with a load of commands in the programme that you don't understand so when you become more advanced you don't have a clue what anything you type actually does.

Steve tries to teach you what each part of the program does, why it is there and why you are putting it in.

Some books don't do this and as a result the readers often have a poor understanding of how things work and if something goes wrong and is not covered in the book they have no clue how to fix it.

Its like asking an airline pilot to fix a mechanical problem, they have enough to do with flying to be taught how to fix a Boeing 747.

Whereas Steve tries to teach you all the basics, like a private small plane owner who works on and flys his own plane. So that you have a good understanding of the basics and are then ready to become more advanced as you so choose.
Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 08:50:42 PM by Waiting Logged
h00ligan

Email

Reply #5 on: February 01, 2012, 07:43:01 AM

I assume that was for the op as I have been quite clear that I am not talking about source code
skochan
Administrator

Reply #6 on: February 01, 2012, 11:51:00 AM

Why don't you post any questions you have about particular exercises here or your solution and either I or others will be happy to take a look?   As noted elsewhere, I decided that this interactive approach is better for learning.  As I've also noted elsewhere, some don't agree with that approach, and I fully understand and appreciate that. 

Cheers,

Steve
Pages: [1] Go Up
Print
Jump to:

Login with username, password and session length