Amazon.com Widgets Should I buy the fourth edition of the book?
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 23, 2014, 09:18:50 AM
Home Help Search chat Login Register 
News: Read this please.The Great Kangaroo Escape Looking for reviews of the 4th ed on Amazon!   Twitter:  @skochan

+ Official Forum for Programming in Objective-C (the iPhone Programming Language) - Stephen Kochan
|-+ Programming in Objective-C, 4th edition
| |-+ General Discussion
| | |-+ Should I buy the fourth edition of the book?
Pages: [1] Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Should I buy the fourth edition of the book? (Read 758 times)
objective

on: January 25, 2012, 05:36:31 AM

Hi all,

as the title says should I buy the fourth edition while having the second edition in front of me?
I bought the second edition two years ago but didn't make it through the book due to time constraints.

I read somewhere there will be some kind of bundle consisting of the book and video lessons. Is there an ETA and is it worth waiting for this bundle?

Cheers,
objective
Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 05:39:14 AM by objective Logged
jgelling

Reply #1 on: January 25, 2012, 08:41:56 PM

I don't know - a fast Google search shows the 2nd Edition was published at the end of 2008. That's ANCIENT history in the iOS world! The version of iOS in use back then was "iPhone OS 2.2" - we're at iOS version 5.01.

Granted, the Objective C language itself has changed a lot less than the iOS SDK, but there's probably code in there (in the Foundation sections) that's been deprecated for iOS 3+, to say nothing of iOS 4 and 5. Certainly you'll waste a lot of time on manual memory management, when you should be using ARC now. And then there's the fact that the version of XCode in that book probably looks very different from XCode 4.2, although I guess you spend most of the book doing command line tools so maybe it's not that bad.

So yeah, to answer your question I'd say probably not. But that's just me - I don't see any point in starting off behind the curve - especially not from a programming book that "old" (there's a reason tech books are so expensive - they go out of date faster than almost any other book category). I'd choose to value my time more highly than trying to figure out why examples in the book might be more difficult to follow than they should be.

It'd be a bit different if the development environment was more stable. Sure, you could learn Java or C++ from a book that's 4 years old. But there have been so many changes in the iOS/Mac/Objective C dev environment since then, I can't see it being a good idea to start that far back. The 3rd edition would probably be passable, but I'd try and sell the 2nd edition if possible and upgrade.
Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 10:03:37 PM by jgelling Logged
h00ligan

Email

Reply #2 on: January 31, 2012, 03:17:18 PM

Read the first 4 chapters of the one you have..

if you feel you are perfectly clear on everything.. get the new one.

If not, find another book by another author.
Pages: [1] Go Up
Print
Jump to:

Login with username, password and session length