Amazon.com Widgets Cocoa Programming Book
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2014, 03:35:06 AM
Home Help Search chat Login Register 
News: Read this please.The Great Kangaroo Escape Looking for reviews of the 4th ed on Amazon!   Twitter:  @skochan

+ Official Forum for Programming in Objective-C (the iPhone Programming Language) - Stephen Kochan
|-+ Old Stuff
| |-+ Resources
| | |-+ Cocoa Programming Book
Pages: [1] Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Cocoa Programming Book (Read 4105 times)
adamgonzalez1984

on: September 04, 2009, 04:29:22 PM

I'm finding this book very helpful

http://www.amazon.com/Cocoa-Programming-Mac-OS-3rd/dp/0321503619/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1252106888&sr=8-1

I started reading it after I read Steve's book and I think they compliment each other nicely. 
toby

Reply #1 on: September 30, 2009, 02:44:11 PM

i recently bought this book also as a follow-up, it looks really good but i haven't really started getting into it as i'm finishing the last bit of steves book off at the moment.  I did however read the into for a sneak peek at what I was getting into, looks awesome, glad you think they go well together (the opinion of someone reading it is clearly better than someone who read the intro lol).
rgronlie
Global Moderator

Reply #2 on: September 30, 2009, 11:37:41 PM

Definitely finish Steve's book first as "Cocoa Programming For Mac" assumes you have a good grasp on Objective-C programming already.

You also won't see the same level of support as you get in this forum.

Ryan

Sanity: Minds are like parachutes. Just because you've lost yours doesn't mean you can borrow mine.
toby

Reply #3 on: October 01, 2009, 03:09:47 AM

Yeah I gathered it would be expecting a reasonable level of Objective-C understanding, or large amounts of prior programming experience. I should be finishing off steves book in the next few days really, I'm nearly at the end and I have spent quite some time making sure I actually understand most of the stuff in it Smiley

I don't think you will find many books at all with the same level of support. The fact he not only has an excellent book but has built a great learning community around it is truly something to be proud of. The only thing I would say is that in the book the site is understated, it could be good to draw more attention to it. I waited till I was absolutely stuck with something (which turned out to be a printing error) before I looked up the site, but when i got here I found so much useful resources that I would have valued even though I wasn't having problems. It would be good if the book highlighted it as being a resourceful community rather than the couple of source files and errata that you typically expect.
skochan
Administrator

Reply #4 on: October 01, 2009, 05:00:15 AM

It would be good if the book highlighted it as being a resourceful community rather than the couple of source files and errata that you typically expect.

Toby,

Thanks for the kudos and the advice!   The site evolved after the book came out.  With that said, I will try to put a bigger plug for the forum in the next  printing of the text.

Cheers and good luck!

Steve Kochan
AitemaKa

airtmaxel@hotmail.com

Reply #5 on: June 10, 2013, 01:10:02 AM

Im afraid I found this book so difficult to accept that I couldnt even finish it. All I can say  is that I think there would be two cases of dementia if I were to live in my husbands world and he is only in the early stages. Maybe it will work for some but its definitely not for me

Pages: [1] Go Up
Print
Jump to:

Login with username, password and session length