Amazon.com Widgets What I Think
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 22, 2014, 07:18:28 PM
Home Help Search chat Login Register 
News: Read this please.The Great Kangaroo Escape Looking for reviews of the 4th ed on Amazon!   Twitter:  @skochan

+ Official Forum for Programming in Objective-C (the iPhone Programming Language) - Stephen Kochan
|-+ Old Stuff
| |-+ Parts 1 and 2
| | |-+ Suggestions
| | | |-+ What I Think
Pages: [1] Go Down
Print
Author Topic: What I Think (Read 1176 times)
christianboyce

Email

on: March 30, 2011, 05:45:17 PM

The pace is perfect for me. You do a nice job of keeping an eye on the questions we've submitted. Thanks for that. My only complaint is with the audio but I think that will be ironed out.

I wonder, though, why we have to use the phone line for the audio at all. Why not come over the internet, like the video? If it's a webex limitation maybe ClassroomM should look into another service. It seems funny to have to use the phone line for the audio, given the state of the art.

Typical Mac user, looking for more polish.  Smiley
skochan
Administrator

Reply #1 on: March 31, 2011, 11:58:08 AM

Hi Christian,

Thanks for the feedback.  Hopefully we will get the audio issues ironed out by the next class.  I think the suggestion of using VoIP is well-taken, and was what I had suggested.  Unfortunately, it seems that WebEx charges a much higher rate for that feature (don't understand why), so the InformIT people opted for the dial-in option instead.

Cheers,

Steve
vincent

Reply #2 on: March 31, 2011, 01:06:54 PM

Why don't you try http://GoToWebinar.com (30 day trial for free after that $99/mo). It seems to do the same as the WebM but also allows VoIP I think.

I would also recommend that you record the audio/video directly on your computer (e.g. with iShowU http://www.shinywhitebox.com/ishowuhd/main.html) which would result in a much higher quality version and offer it as a separate download. That video could then also be played without installing additional software and on nearly all devices.

If you want to stream the audio only you could also use an IceCast server (Nicecast on Mac here: http://www.rogueamoeba.com/nicecast).

Regards, Vincent

skochan
Administrator

Reply #3 on: March 31, 2011, 08:45:14 PM

Hi Vincent,

I appreciate your suggestions.  Here's some of my feedback: I used gotowebinar for my last series.  I had audio problems there as well.  They were mostly related to USB headset problems, which they were never able to correct.  The video quality of the recordings from WebEx is excellent, better than that from gotowebinar.

As far as recording while I'm broadcasting, I'm a little concerned about the system load when doing that. 

We'll see how the audio goes for the next class, and then we'll make changes as necessary if it's still not adequate.   I had also considered using Skype as a possible option for the audio.

Cheers,

Steve
christianboyce

Email

Reply #4 on: April 02, 2011, 02:41:05 AM

The worst part is the battery in my phone died part-way through the class. I was using my landline, and the phone is rechargeable and luckily I have two handsets but man what a drag when the first one died. I was able to swap handsets pretty quickly, but of course that caused yet another "beep" for everyone when I signed in, and then I had to do the muting and that's another beep I think.

Glad you're not altogether happy with using the dial-in method. Gives me hope for the future--

c
Pages: [1] Go Up
Print
Jump to:

Login with username, password and session length