Amazon.com Widgets Select Case w/o Break
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 22, 2014, 09:17:08 PM
Home Help Search chat Login Register 
News: Read this please.The Great Kangaroo Escape Looking for reviews of the 4th ed on Amazon!   Twitter:  @skochan

+ Official Forum for Programming in Objective-C (the iPhone Programming Language) - Stephen Kochan
|-+ Old Stuff
| |-+ Chapter Study
| | |-+ Chapter 6 - Making Decisions
| | | |-+ Select Case w/o Break
Pages: [1] Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Select Case w/o Break (Read 1415 times)
n1mie

on: July 19, 2010, 07:21:22 PM

I'm not sure I understand the explanation of what happens if you omit the "break" from a select case. You say it continues into the next case whenever that case is executed? You mean it goes into the wrong case? Can you give an example?

-- Chip (FN41bn)
n1mie

Reply #1 on: July 19, 2010, 09:25:08 PM

Hmm. OK. So if I understand this now it works like this. If I don't put a break in, the program evaluates every case segment. So it will perform all that match the current conditions. Generally since all have to be unique it means it will perform the one that matches AND the default one (if used). So the benefit is that you can have it always do the default not just when nothing else matches. But this could just as easily be accomplished by placing the desired code immediately following the select case. Does that summarize it?

-- Chip (FN41bn)
skochan
Administrator

Reply #2 on: July 22, 2010, 05:15:55 PM

Here's an example:

Code: (Objective-C)
int n = 1;

switch (n) {
  case 1:
        NSLog (@"n is 1");
  case 2:
        NSLog (@"n is 2");
}

Since n is set to 1, the first case in the switch will match and the NSLog statement will display n is 1.  However, since there's no break after the first NSLog, flow will drop into the next case, and the second NSLog statement will also be executed, even though n is not equal to 2.  Hope that clears it up.

Cheers,

Steve Kochan
Last Edit: July 22, 2010, 05:18:32 PM by skochan Logged
Pages: [1] Go Up
Print
Jump to:

Login with username, password and session length