Amazon.com Widgets Chapter 1 Quiz
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 29, 2014, 01:02:35 AM
Home Help Search chat Login Register 
News: Read this please.The Great Kangaroo Escape Looking for reviews of the 4th ed on Amazon!   Twitter:  @skochan

+ Official Forum for Programming in Objective-C (the iPhone Programming Language) - Stephen Kochan
|-+ Study Group
| |-+ Objective-C Quizzes
| | |-+ Chapter 1 - Introduction
| | | |-+ Chapter 1 Quiz
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Chapter 1 Quiz (Read 12856 times)
skochan
Administrator

on: March 08, 2009, 07:52:22 AM

Well, this is a start!  The quiz player shows 10 questions at a time.   Look for future quizzes to give explanations for wrong answers.  Also, soon I'll post the link here so you can write your own quiz and post it here.

The window is sized so that you can take the quiz on an iPhone or iPod Touch.

Chapter 1 Quiz

Cheers,

Steve Kochan

Last Edit: March 08, 2009, 08:17:57 AM by skochan Logged
esc
Global Moderator

Reply #1 on: March 08, 2009, 01:13:07 PM

Thanks!!  This is fun!  And it helps to keep the material fresh in my head Grin  Looking forward to more...
skochan
Administrator

Reply #2 on: March 08, 2009, 01:15:39 PM

Thanks, Wendy.  I have a Chapter 2 quiz ready to go.  My friend is just working out some of the kinks with the player.  It should be up by tonight or tomorrow.

Cheers,

Steve

skateme

Reply #3 on: March 08, 2009, 03:26:38 PM

I agree, more quizzes would be awesome! I'm up to Chapter 5 now and I sort of skimmed sections that seemed unimportant to me (eg the data types). I don't think I'll ever use long integers but I feel somewhat guilty about not paying attention to them. I hate having to flip back to previous sections to understand something that I need to understand.
skochan
Administrator

Reply #4 on: March 08, 2009, 03:30:46 PM

Yeah,   more quizzes are on the way.  A quiz authoring tool will also be available so forum members can also write their own quizzes and post them here.  Stay tuned....we're working on this as fast as we can!  Grin

Cheers,

Steve Kochan
Mike

Email

Reply #5 on: March 25, 2009, 06:52:24 PM

Hi Steven,

In chapter 8 page 162 you synthesize the instance variables width and height but then you create a method to set both of these instance variables.  I was wondering why you didn't just use the setters and getters that are created when you use the @property and @synthesize directives.

Any hints or clues are appreciated
Cheers
Mike
skochan
Administrator

Reply #6 on: March 25, 2009, 07:06:00 PM

Hi Mike,

The instance method you refer to was created simply as a convenient way to set both instance variables with a single method call.

By the way, you posted this under the "Quizzes" board.  This would be more appropriate for the "Help" board.

Cheers,

Steve Kochan
ccahua

Email

Reply #7 on: March 29, 2009, 01:04:17 AM

Thanks for the quiz and the forum  Smiley

The quiz is a great way to reinforce what I just read.

I just bought the book today and am really impressed with all the support and information here.

Thanks again,
tony
skochan
Administrator

Reply #8 on: March 29, 2009, 05:00:18 AM

Tony,

You're welcome!   I've  fallen a little behind with the quizzes, but next week I should be able to devote time to writing some more.

Cheers,

Steve
jose25frisco

Reply #9 on: April 09, 2009, 08:35:34 PM

Those are really good exercises!! I could take them over and over until I got 100%  Wink
I'm taking Objective-C slowly. I'm still taking C++, Perl and Shell Scripting as well. I'm reading the book over and over, taking notes and annotate from Mr. Kochan and some great advises in this forum. Thanks you all guys.
I was wondering if we could have some Objective-C programming challenges in this forum. For example in C++ , there are many ways to code and solve problems and then Mr. Kochan could choose three codes "as possible solution". We can learn a lot from each other. I believe each of us has their own way for coding. Thanks in advance.
Jose V.
skochan
Administrator

Reply #10 on: April 09, 2009, 08:50:16 PM

Hi Jose,

I'm glad you're enjoying the quizzes!  I need to get a couple more posted...

I am looking for ways to get the forum members to participate, and your suggested challenge is an excellent idea.

One thought I had was for us to get the Fraction Calculator into a condition so that we could offer it through the app store (as a free app, of course).  That's not presented until the end of the book, Chapter 21, but we could start by having members design a nice-looking calculator UI and post screen shots for us to select.  Then we could add some functions to the calculator (like memory, convert to decimal, etc.)  Forum members could then post the code and I could then submit the application to Apple for the app store.   It's not that the app would be that useful to others, but I think it would be kind of cool.  Everyone who participated would get credit for their contributions.  If that worked, maybe we could follow it with some apps that we could even charge money for!   Grin

Anyway, stay posted and I'll try to organize something.  Other ideas and initiatives are certainly welcome here!

Cheers,

Steve Kochan
P.S.  I may move this thread into the "Suggestions" board.
Intyre3

Reply #11 on: April 13, 2009, 11:19:43 AM

Thanks for the quizzes.  It makes reading the book and coming to this website feel like you are taking a course rather than just sitting down and reading a book.  Keep up the good work.

Ron McIntyre
skochan
Administrator

Reply #12 on: April 13, 2009, 11:31:39 AM

Ron,

I'm glad you're enjoying the quizzes.  I hope to get a couple more posted this week and then eventually provide the ability to take a comprehensive quiz by having the software randomly select 50 questions from all the quizzes.

Cheers,

Steve
Nighthawk2006

Email

Reply #13 on: June 04, 2009, 08:17:05 PM

Thanks for the quiz. I remembered more than I thought.
robfri@bergen.org

Email

Reply #14 on: August 23, 2012, 11:53:34 AM

How do I access the quizzies??
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up
Print
Jump to:

Login with username, password and session length