Amazon.com Widgets Obsolete?
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 30, 2014, 08:07:47 AM
Home Help Search chat Login Register 
News: Read this please.The Great Kangaroo Escape Looking for reviews of the 4th ed on Amazon!   Twitter:  @skochan

+ Official Forum for Programming in Objective-C (the iPhone Programming Language) - Stephen Kochan
|-+ Old Stuff
| |-+ Errata, Answers to Exercises, Code, etc.
| | |-+ Obsolete?
Pages: [1] Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Obsolete? (Read 2642 times)
RRManager

Email

on: January 29, 2010, 01:09:59 AM

I recently purchased a used copy of Programming in Objective-C. The intro and first chapter were a breeze and quite enjoyable. However, using Xcode 3.2.1, Program example 3.2 doesn't seem to be working properly.

Now that ObjC 2.0 is out, are the programs in my book completely obsolete?
skochan
Administrator

Reply #1 on: January 29, 2010, 06:21:10 AM

I haven't tried those examples from the 1st edition in years.  You may need to use NSObject as the root object, import Foundation/Foundation.h instead of objc/object.h and use release instead of free to free your allocated objects.  This is basically the inverse of what's described in Chapter 14 of the first edition.

Those changes should be all that's needed for the first part of the book (there are some methods related to asking questions about classes in the first part that also won't work).  The second part on Foundation will likely work as is, except perhaps for some deprecated methods. 

Cheers,

Steve Kochan
Pages: [1] Go Up
Print
Jump to:

Login with username, password and session length