Amazon.com Widgets Why no answers to even questions in this Post
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 24, 2014, 04:17:04 AM
Home Help Search chat Login Register 
News: Read this please.The Great Kangaroo Escape Looking for reviews of the 4th ed on Amazon!   Twitter:  @skochan

+ Official Forum for Programming in Objective-C (the iPhone Programming Language) - Stephen Kochan
|-+ Programming in C, 3rd ed. (Stephen Kochan)
| |-+ Answers to Odd-Numbered Exercises
| | |-+ Why no answers to even questions in this Post
Pages: [1] Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Why no answers to even questions in this Post (Read 3319 times)
xman

on: January 09, 2010, 06:13:12 AM

I am working my way through 'Programming in C' and am trying to figure out some of the answers to the exercise questions - can anyone tell me where I might find the answers to the even numbered exercise questions?

Many thanks
xMan
skochan
Administrator

Reply #1 on: January 09, 2010, 09:48:15 PM

I never offered the answers to the even-numbered exercises.  Several years ago I asked the readers if they preferred no answers or all answers.

The instructors didn't want any answers so they could assign exercises as homework.  Self-study students wanted all the answers.  My compromise was to provide the answers to the odd-numbered exercises, which is a practice that has been used for many textbooks over the years.

Since my book is still used in classrooms, I'm going to continue the policy.  Sorry for any inconvenience.

Cheers,

Steve Kochan
rjgrace

WWW Email

Reply #2 on: April 28, 2012, 06:25:26 PM

Ok, so I'm an idiot and need help. What is the answer for Question 6 in chapter 4?  I got 6381 from the algorithm I used.

[addendum] I should add this does NOT look right.  

Ok, my mistake was to use scientific notion to represent the squared and cubed variables.  I am at a loss on how to represent powers (i.e 2.55 squared and cubed, per the exercise). Did I miss how to notate powers? I'm having trouble finding where you mention that in chapter 4.

Update: I'm copying this to a new thread!
Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 07:04:20 PM by rjgrace Logged
rjgrace

WWW Email

Reply #3 on: April 29, 2012, 04:24:34 PM

Just to share my solution, I found that there is an operand to raise numbers to the power of x, but that it's in a library elsewhere.  It might be in a library included in the LLVM I'm using but I decided to simply multiply 2.55 by itself two time and three times and go from there.
Pages: [1] Go Up
Print
Jump to:

Login with username, password and session length