Amazon.com Widgets Hello from the UK!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2014, 03:48:32 AM
Home Help Search chat Login Register 
News: Read this please.The Great Kangaroo Escape Looking for reviews of the 4th ed on Amazon!   Twitter:  @skochan

+ Official Forum for Programming in Objective-C (the iPhone Programming Language) - Stephen Kochan
|-+ Old Stuff
| |-+ Webcast Series Part I, Oct. 29 - Dec. 1
| | |-+ Welcome
| | | |-+ Hello from the UK!
Pages: [1] Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Hello from the UK! (Read 1668 times)
bagwaa

Email

on: November 03, 2009, 12:42:44 PM

Hi Folks!

Just thought I would say a quick hello, I joined the course today - I missed last weeks first course but since it was available for download I have just caught up and I was impressed by the course and content.

My story is I am basically a 30-something year old web developer in the UK, and I am looking to branch out a little into iPhone development, mainly because it looks like so much fun!  It kinda reminds me of when I played around with C on the Amiga as a child.

Obviously my first task is to get a good grounding in Objective-C, and what better way to-do it :-)  I have read nearly half of steves book and figured this online course would solidify everything I have been learning over the past few weeks, I have also played around with various other resources for learning iPhone development (Also probably around 50% through "Beginning 3 iPhone Development" by Jeff LaMarche and Dave Mark).

The course looks great and I can't wait for lesson two tonight (I think it will be 10pm or maybe 11pm tonight - I will check both times hehe)

Thanks,

Richard Bagshaw
Twitter: @bagwaa
skochan
Administrator

Reply #1 on: November 03, 2009, 03:05:03 PM

Hi Richard,

Welcome to the course!  I recognize your name from Twitter!

Cheers,

Steve Kochan
bagwaa

Email

Reply #2 on: November 03, 2009, 03:11:47 PM

haha yes, you sent me a tweet when I commented that I liked your book, and pointed me to these courses :-)
Stinky

Reply #3 on: November 04, 2009, 04:23:17 AM

Hey Richard,

I'm also a 30-something from the UK, So you wont be the only one with the late nigghts Grin
bagwaa

Email

Reply #4 on: November 04, 2009, 12:22:32 PM

Hehe sweet, it's not too bad actually, it works out as 11pm until midnight which is WAYYY before my bedtime on most nights :-) -- I'm allowed to stay up late and everythin' :-)

How are you finding the courses? I think they are great, although I think I am trying todo to much at the moment, reading quite a few hefty books atm, so much to take in and remember but it is fun :-)

Stinky

Reply #5 on: November 06, 2009, 02:24:28 AM

I've already done part 2 I've come back for part 1. I did quite a bit of reading else where before finding these classes so most of part 1 is obvious at this stage lol (trust me it wasn't at the beginning). However I don't know everything (far from it), and given that it's only about 40 for the classes I figured it was worth doing the part 1.

The classes are good Steve seems to get pretty much down to business in a clear and easy to understand way. So I'm happy with the way things have gone. For me the hardest part was getting my head round the Object Orientated way of doing things.
bagwaa

Email

Reply #6 on: November 06, 2009, 02:16:00 PM

I've been reading through several iPhone books, and started a generic cocoa book (Aaron Hillegass's Cocoa Programming) - but I only started a few weeks ago, so I will soak up anything from the experts I can :-) -- I will be signing up for the december course and if steve does an iPhone course then that too! :-)

I think the biggest thing I am struggling with at the moment isn't so much the objective-c side of things, but more on the side of the iPhone and trying to remember all the ways and procedures todo things, im just kinda hoping that will come with experience, coz I will be referencing the books for life atm :-) -- A good example of this is the chapter I just read about tableView's and navigation Controllers, I understand it, but I wouldn't be able todo it without the book I dont think ... not right away anyway.

Richard
Stinky

Reply #7 on: November 09, 2009, 01:23:34 PM

Drop us an e-mail simon dot hurst at gmx dot com

always keen to see what others are doing and I've found some other great sources that might help you out. Just not sure if Steve will appreciate me posting those on his forum so i'd rather take it offline
Pages: [1] Go Up
Print
Jump to:

Login with username, password and session length