Amazon.com Widgets Welcome!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 31, 2014, 07:24:51 PM
Home Help Search chat Login Register 
News: Read this please.The Great Kangaroo Escape Looking for reviews of the 4th ed on Amazon!   Twitter:  @skochan

+ Official Forum for Programming in Objective-C (the iPhone Programming Language) - Stephen Kochan
|-+ Old Stuff
| |-+ Welcome
| | |-+ Welcome!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7 Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Welcome! (Read 24592 times)
skochan
Administrator

on: January 30, 2009, 12:29:26 PM

Welcome!

I hope you are enjoying Programming in Objective-C 2.0. This site contains, among other things, updated resources, errata, a link to download the program examples, and answers to exercises. I welcome your feedback! Feel free to email your comments to me.

If you have the first edition of this book (Programming in Objective-C), look here for errata, answers to exercises, etc.

You can help support this forum by posting a (hopefully) favorable review of this book and mentioning the value of this forum to you on Amazon.com (see link to book above).

Cheers,

Steve Kochan
Last Edit: February 12, 2009, 04:53:56 PM by skochan Logged
adamgonzalez1984

Reply #1 on: February 04, 2009, 09:46:14 AM

Just wanted to say thanks for making this website.  I'm on chapter 8 right now and I love this book!!!
skochan
Administrator

Reply #2 on: February 04, 2009, 11:27:05 AM

Just wanted to say thanks for making this website.  I'm on chapter 8 right now and I love this book!!!

Welcome to the forum and thanks!

nathanialbb

Reply #3 on: February 06, 2009, 05:26:22 AM

Hi Steve and Adam and everyone else  Cheesy

Checking in for the first time to say 'hi' ( always amazed by what the internet allows us to do and access...)

Thank you Steve for taking time and effort in constructing this site - great book and (hopefully) informative forum area.

I am a complete newbie to Obj-C and Cocoa - but have some past experience in C/C++ programming.

Used the mac (as a graphic designer) since 1989 and so looking forwards to cranking up the Xcode/IB apps.
skochan
Administrator

Reply #4 on: February 06, 2009, 06:48:31 AM

Welcome to the forum.  Your past C/C++ experience will serve you well.

Cheers,

Steve
WREllis

we412303
Email

Reply #5 on: February 07, 2009, 11:46:46 AM

Hello, just wanted to say: Thanks for this book. I tried learning Objective-C last year and it didn't work out well, but this book is amazing and I think I may actually get through it.
skochan
Administrator

Reply #6 on: February 08, 2009, 08:06:41 AM

I'm glad you find the book helpful.  Feel free to post questions on this forum or ask for help if you get stuck on anything.

Cheers,

Steve
amuso

Hope to make a living coding...

amuso@scw.net

Reply #7 on: February 11, 2009, 08:06:13 AM

I have been intimidated by starting to program on the Mac for quite a few years as it seemed like an enormous bear to get at. Then after spending some of last year researching how and where to start I came across several forums that suggested getting the Objective-C you have written. I was about to get it and realized a new edition was coming out so I waited for that and got it in the mail a couple of weeks ago. I also ordered up 3 other books to get at later, like Cocoa, Xcode and iPhone programming. Most from the same publisher.

Today is my first day at the book and I am currently working on the excercises in chapter 4. I like the book so far, and even my somewhat old and slow brain seems to actually get most of the stuff so far. I was really worried about classes, methods and all that since I never really understood that back in school. So far it seems easy (I am sure I am going to regret that soon though) Wink

Thanks for a great book so far. I really look forward getting back into programming, especially on my favorite platform the Mac (and iPhone). Got some ideas for programs to come, but that will still take months I am sure.

Appriciate this forum to get exercise examples as I am starting to miss some examples to see if I am doing it the right way. I will post some questions about just that in the corresponding forums in a bit. It will be good to know if I understand the exercises correctly, and even more importantly get the desired results.

Thanks again! I hope you will continue to develop this great book for the future as well.

Regards,
Odd-Jarle @ Norway

MacBook MB063 4GB OS X 10.7.3 (Xcode 4.3)
iMac MA876 3GB OS X 10.7.3
iPhone 4S 16GB 5.0.1 / iPad 2 16GB 5.0.1
Need translations to Norwegian? Happy to help.
skochan
Administrator

Reply #8 on: February 11, 2009, 12:20:58 PM

Welcome to the forum!  I'm happy to see such  a friendly group of members here!

Cheers,

Steve
Kari

Reply #9 on: February 13, 2009, 05:14:16 AM

Hello.  I bought the book last weekend after reading a number of reviews.  Being new to programming I was looking for a book that did not require previous experience with C.  I'm taking it slowly, so am only up to chapter 3.  I am impressed that this forum exists.
skochan
Administrator

Reply #10 on: February 15, 2009, 05:30:04 PM

Welcome Karl!  Don't be intimidated about posting questions here.  The members are extremely helpful and willing to offer help and  explanations.

Good luck!

Cheers,

Steve
Weston

Reply #11 on: February 18, 2009, 10:30:32 PM

Hey everyone. I just bought this book yesterday and I'm excited to get started learning. My goal is to be able to create iPhone apps, but I've never programmed before. I hope that this book will be a great way to start.
skochan
Administrator

Reply #12 on: February 19, 2009, 12:02:34 AM

Welcome Weston!  Good luck and feel free to post any questions you have along the way.

Cheers,

Steve
wellaged37

Reply #13 on: February 20, 2009, 07:27:38 AM

Your book is a fine piece of work. I am a newbie to the Objective-C language and your book meets my needs very well.
Presently, I am working on chapter 8 and so far I've understood all your examples and I think I've successfully completed the exercises. Of course, some of Objective-C's concepts are bit unclear to me. So, I was very excited to discover this forum. I expect it to be extremely helpful.
Hopefully, in the future, I will be able to make worthwhile contributions to the forum. For now, I've posted in errata some typos I may have found. Also, I will post in Help a few questions whose answers may improve my understanding of the concepts of Objective-C.
Thank you for all the work that you have put into your book.
skochan
Administrator

Reply #14 on: February 20, 2009, 05:37:48 PM

Welcome to this forum and thanks for your kind words.  Best of luck and feel free to ask questions about any topics you don't understand.  The members in this forum are incredibly generous and often answer questions posed here before I can even get a chance to reply!

Regards,

Steve K.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7 Go Up
Print
Jump to:

Login with username, password and session length