Amazon.com Widgets Please take this poll
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 31, 2014, 06:29:46 AM
Home Help Search chat Login Register 
News: Read this please.The Great Kangaroo Escape Looking for reviews of the 4th ed on Amazon!   Twitter:  @skochan

+ Official Forum for Programming in Objective-C (the iPhone Programming Language) - Stephen Kochan
|-+ Old Stuff
| |-+ Welcome
| | |-+ Please take this poll
Poll
Question: How did you find out about this forum?
The publisher's website
amazon.com
Google (or other search engine)
Macrumors forum
Referral from a friend or colleague
Other

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Please take this poll (Read 16509 times)
javedjee78

WWW Email

Reply #30 on: October 01, 2010, 01:31:56 AM

We have been getting many new users lately who don't seem to know the finer points of our rules.

Dataman

Email

Reply #31 on: October 18, 2010, 04:11:03 PM

I'm in chapter 7 of your book and had some questions. I haven't found anyone at work who knows Objective-C so I did what I always do when I want to know something I went to Google. I typed Objective-C forum and this was the first. I couldn't believe it when I pulled it up and it was your website.
Darius

Reply #32 on: October 21, 2010, 04:46:36 AM

Hi Steve,

I have been reading other tutorials and bought the iOS 4 application development before I had to stop and almost give up.

Didn't know what the real reason behind all the code was, finally came across your book on another tutorial site and since yesterday everything has changed.
Saw your forum and how everyone was learning and practicing, I wanted to get started asap.

So started reading your book and copy pasting the code. Covered a 100 pages and came back to the forum and saw your note that one should really type everything and not assume that is easy.
So I went back and I am at the exercises for chapter 3.

Looking forward to writing my first app.

Thank you for such great book.

skochan
Administrator

Reply #33 on: October 24, 2010, 08:49:38 AM

Welcome to the forum Darius.

Good luck!

Cheers,

Steve
mitch

Reply #34 on: November 23, 2010, 04:06:30 AM

Hi, my first post Smiley

Found this forum with the help of Amazon reviews of your book which I don't actually have now, but I plan to get it.
Don't know yet if I buy the original English version or if I can buy the French translation, I don't speak/read English perfectly (as you can read), but I rather have a 'slow' read of an English written book (because sometimes I need to google-trranslate some words/sentences) than find that my translated book in French is full of 'mistranslations'.

I already have Aaron Hillegass book, but I found it a little hard, some basics concepts I don't have fully understand I think.

Can't wait to be able to write my own apps, I have some good apps ideas I think Smiley

edit : I think my translation choice is solved because there is apparently no French translation Cheesy
Last Edit: November 23, 2010, 08:15:34 AM by mitch Logged
razor

Reply #35 on: November 24, 2010, 09:11:56 AM

I found the link when I registered the book on the publishers website.

You should make more mention of this site in the book because it is a fantastic resource and community.  I'm only on Chapter 7 but have already save an enormous amount of time coming to the site and not only looking for solutions to my questions, but also seeing things others have questioned.

I've started and stumbled several times trying to learn Cocoa and iPhone programming, I've never made it past the second chapter in any other document/book.  For people like me your book is a must read.  I can't say I can go back through the chapters and write every previous program from memory, but my understanding of what is going on has increased enormously.  I wish I would have bought this book 2 years ago.
delv1s

Reply #36 on: February 09, 2011, 01:51:28 PM

Searched extensivley for a good book for a beginner in Objective-C.
Your book kept on popping up as highly recommended.
This was across many websites.
Vaughn

Reply #37 on: March 29, 2011, 09:49:15 PM

Got here from the InformIT web site when I registered the book.

Ditto on this.
dharr19

Email

Reply #38 on: June 23, 2011, 12:09:43 PM

Hi Stephen,

While reading the 2nd ed book I had a question.  I decided to google your name and found this site.

Thanks
David
tbrim

Reply #39 on: July 03, 2011, 07:13:25 AM

I found the link to the forum mentioned in Chapter 1 of the book (which just arrived in the mail yesterday).
CMarshall

Email

Reply #40 on: July 26, 2011, 12:37:54 AM

I too found the forums from the book. After sending a little time looking over it, I am eager to become involved. I would like to thank you for creating and maintaining such a community.

Just on a side note. I began my approach to Objective-C through lynda.com and also through the iTunes Stanford University courses. As I would need more information and help I would resort to google. And on more than a few occasions (and I wish I could reference them but sadly I am not able to) I found many references to your book. It has a very nice following and reputation from everything I have seen.

Sorry for the long winded comment. And thank you once again. Now off to finish reading...

Chad

Although I do find it humorous that Objective-C does not make it past the built in spell checker.
skochan
Administrator

Reply #41 on: July 27, 2011, 06:41:45 AM

Chad,

Welcome to the forum and best of luck!

Cheers,

Steve
dharr19

Email

Reply #42 on: July 28, 2011, 05:34:53 PM

Looked up Stephen Kochan and found this site

David
Max Likely

Reply #43 on: August 06, 2011, 11:04:10 PM

Hi Steve - to answer your question: I bought the 3rd Edition of your book and read your directions to ClassroomM.com  Smiley

This is gonna be interesting. I'm a retired software jock - who never got to use OO professionally. I also had a copy of the 1st edition of the book that I never got through. For Apple's Objective-C, the main reason was the abyss between the various books I tried and the actual XCode/Project-Builder IDE of the times. I realize (now) that this is largely because the IDE presents a rapidly-moving target. I.e., we can blame Apple for part of it. But some restructuring of the book(s), to make the text as independent of the current GUI as possible, would certainly help. Then the Figures depicting different versions of the GUI could be put online.

But I think it would help (for any book dealing with XCode) to state, up-front, specifically what versions of Mac OS X, XCode and Interface Builder were used to generate the Figures in the book - and to print a gentle warning that "what the Figures show" may (and probably will) be different from what one sees on their own GUI, if you are not using the same version of XCode as was used in the book.

I am currently using Mac OS X 10.6.8 and XCode 3.2.6 and, of course, the Figures in the 3rd Edition (still) do NOT match the GUI.  Roll Eyes But I have now done enough stumbling around several versions of the GUI that I can usually find a way to do what I need, in order to work my way through a chapter. Frustratingly, this was not always the case.   Sad
Last Edit: August 06, 2011, 11:17:54 PM by Max Likely Logged
dharr19

Email

Reply #44 on: August 07, 2011, 10:02:15 AM

Hi Stephen,

I looked up your name after I purchased the book and found this site.

Cheers
David
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Up
Print
Jump to:

Login with username, password and session length