Amazon.com Widgets Hello from Stephen F.
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 23, 2014, 08:04:35 AM
Home Help Search chat Login Register 
News: Read this please.The Great Kangaroo Escape Looking for reviews of the 4th ed on Amazon!   Twitter:  @skochan

+ Official Forum for Programming in Objective-C (the iPhone Programming Language) - Stephen Kochan
|-+ Old Stuff
| |-+ Webcast Series Part I, Sept. 1 - 24
| | |-+ Welcome
| | | |-+ Hello from Stephen F.
Pages: [1] Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Hello from Stephen F. (Read 1055 times)
Stephen F.

on: September 02, 2009, 07:13:50 PM

Hi, I'm another Stephen, so I'll call myself Stephen F.

I have a background in computer programming, but never learnt GUI programming, and never became a professional software engineer, although I have worked in software companies for the last fifteen years (IT, QA, SCM). I went to a polytechnic college back when Windows 3.1 seemed cool, but they would not even let us use the Borland Turbo C libraries because the code wasn't written by us, and they didn't want us using anything we didn't write ourselves. How weird does that seem today. I was in the year just before they started showing students how to write software for Windows. Looking back, it was probably just as well, because I hear Windows programming is a real mess.

Over the last few years I have done a bit of programming at work, in C++, Java, Perl, and Bash shell. All of it command-line on Linux and Unix. Have tried to crack the Xcode thing several times over the years, but every time hit a wall and ended up  getting nowhere. Now that the iPhone has exploded, all the publishers that didn't care about Cocoa or the Mac are falling over themselves to write books and courses on Xcode and Cocoa.

Just thought it would be nice to have a hand-held introduction to Cocoa, and here I am. Looking forward to learning lots about Cocoa.
skochan
Administrator

Reply #1 on: September 03, 2009, 07:42:27 AM

Stephen,

You have a good background for learning Objective-C.  Remember that we won't be learning about Interface Builder in this series (which is used to design UI's for Mac OS X and iPhone applications).  However, this series will lay the foundation for you to learn that material after the course is completed.

Cheers,

Steve Kochan
P.S.  Was Windows 3.1 (or any version of Windows for that matter) ever "cool"?   Cool
Stephen F.

Reply #2 on: September 08, 2009, 08:03:11 PM

D'oh.

Yes, I get Objective-C and Cocoa mixed up all the time, because I wasn't sure of the distinction until just a few weeks ago. That was probably one of the things that make Mac OS X programming so intimidating for me: I bought books on Cocoa, but didn't have any Objective-C experience, and didn't know any better. This time I'm learning Objective-C first, and will move on to Cocoa and Xcode later.

So far, all the C syntax makes Objective-C seem friendly. I'm also picking up on C syntax I missed the first time around,  which is great (rather stupidly sold my K&R text as soon as my C course was done).

PS. In my defence, Windows 3.1 seemed cool after using Atari DOS, MS-DOS, and Windows 3.0. Heh. It's all relative.
Pages: [1] Go Up
Print
Jump to:

Login with username, password and session length